View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #54
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

So where was I? Oh yea.

Sold my 1980s GM truck seat a couple of months ago after the wife had a hissy fit about the upholstery I'd selected. Had to admit I didn't much care for the workmanship or materials selection either.

Decided to go back to original but with foam instead of springs. Here's the seat frame with birch plywood installed to accept the foam. Upholsterer called today and said the first attempt at seat foam is ready to try (he's done this many times but wants me to try it to see if its comfortable for me)

Hung the Jag diff for what I hope is the last time. Shimmed the rotors to center in the calipers and filled the thing with gear oil. Plugged the hole in the cover with a slug of aluminum held in with JB weld and hope this doesn't turn around a bite me.

Had the shortened half shafts welded and balanced after I verified I could shim them for correct camber.

Built some radius rods to plant the Jag IRS - salvaged from a sandrail upgrade five years ago - don't ever throw anything away!

Decided not to use hood springs so I needed a prop rod. Made this out of chromolly scraps. Truck is being cut and buffed - almost done but I need the rear end together so I can hang the bed

Had a nice painted grill I was going to have plated, so I took it apart and sent it to the stripper. Came back with copper strike on it so now I'm wondering if it was a painted grill to begin with. In any event, history tells me that the more prep I put into the parts before I send them to be plated, the better they turn out, so I'm bumping the grill parts with a hammer and dolly and filing the part to get them as perfect as I can. Here's some tooling marks in one of the slats. The brown stuff is copper and shows the low spots.

Here it is after bumping and filing

Another eight or so hours to finish them all

That's about it for now. Will report how the seat foam turned out next time
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote