View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
slosteve

Re: Factory AC Install - Need FAM Pages

The reason that I asked is that I did this in my truck many years ago. It was one of the most difficult projects I have done on it and the results have not been 'acceptable'. I have had so much disappointment with it that I've considered yanking it all and installing a Vintage Air system. I see that you have a stock type compressor which may be better for the system. I don't know and don't claim to be an A/C tech by any means. I started out with a Sanden compressor on mine and have lunched a few. I think the biggest problem was converting the system to 134. They were made for R-12 and apparently work much better with it. I've done a number of changes to the system over the years, including replacing my carbureted V8 with a '94 Vette LT1 engine and using the compressor for that engine. Also, since that setup doesn't have a mechanical fan I use 2 Impala electric fans. After a couple years I recently lunched that one too. When I replaced it I decided to try a newer condenser made for 134 which are supposed to be more efficient. So far it seems to be better.
The main problem I've discovered is that the 134 needs higher pressure to do the same job that R-12 did. If your system isn't spot on and the pressure gets too high - goodbye compressor. I have installed a few aftermarket systems in my other projects and they are the best. They are designed & built with newer and up to date technology.

Steve
slosteve is offline   Reply With Quote