Thread: DIY Paintjob
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #20
nail pounder

Re: DIY Paintjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bo.c10 View Post
so awesome! Great parenting!
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'd say if you are a DIYer then paint it, especially if you plan on doing other vehicles down the road. Read everything you can, make sure the weather conditions are right to paint and practice on metal trash cans or old body parts first. By the time I finished the 66 I was finally getting pretty good and I could see how the paint flows. If this is a one shot deal & you've got more money than time, have it done because it is a lot of work. If you go that route I'd say save up like $5k and go to a more reputable shop. Earl Scheib was good for a work truck but I'd be disappointed if it was on a classic.

Food for thought, $1700 could buy a nice a$$ compressor, paint gun, paint and other tools. Oh, and don't cheap out on the gun, I tried a harbor freight HVLP and had poor and frustrating results. The $200 devilbliss came with three tip sizes and sprays with consistent results every time. My issues were strictly operator error. Good luck and let's see some pics of your truck as is!
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote