View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #220
Boog
laying low

Re: SWB 4x4 was totaled. Now what? Can I get it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics stuff View Post
As mentioned a concern that the insurance company was trying to take the truck from you. That is also false. I have dealt with insurance companies many tie regarding claims to totaled vehicles . Under federal law your vehicle is yours until said times that you settle the insurance claim and at that point if the insurance company pays you for the vehicle as a total then and only then does the ownership transfers to the insurance company. All claims adjusters are on the insurance company side and are there to save the company money from any litigation in court.
You as the owner do not have to accept what the claims adjuster offers , but if goes to court then you would have to accept what is decided at that time .
I hate to be devils advocate but do hope that you had gotten many pics of the truck before it left the posession of the tow yard . the claims department will try to say that you accepted the shipped vehicle as is . Be careful and think out any decisions made. I have been there and done that several times with these people.
Vic
So as i understand it George's truck is now a salvage vehicle according to the insurance company. The insurance company values it at $5703. They will reimburse George for the tow and storage fee. The truck is still George's for now. If he accepts their settlement offer the truck becomes their property but he can buy the truck back from them for $1500. Settlement all cleaned up nice and tidy. Now George's truck title will be labeled SALVAGE on any subsequent registrations? That does have an effect on current and future sales values. That just doesn't deal out fair to me. George didn't cause this accident. He certainly didn't want his truck damaged. He now has to decide if it's a good idea to put any more money into this truck, now that it is a SALVAGE vehicle. No one wants to see a truck like this go to a parts yard but how smart is it to proceed with this settlement? Laws vary from states but is there a way to rebuild this truck, in George's state, and then have it inspected and assigned a clean title? Will the truck have to be inspected, once rebuilt, in Iowa instead?
George is the victim here. He did absolutely nothing wrong but has to endure all this to keep what is rightfully his. Doesn't sit well with me at all.
My apology to all. I tend to get worked up some times over stuff like this. I have no dog in this fight but, in a way, we all do. What's happening to George can happen to any one of us too.
This thread is now 9 pages long and i have forgotten what the initial settlement offer was. Is this current offer more or less than the original one?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote