View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Nobody has restored or repaired a steering wheel yet

Nobody has restored or repaired a steering wheel yet. There, I said it. Please prove me wrong.

On recommendation of WannaBe68 I would like to continue discussion from this Suburban thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624092 over here in the pickup section where perhaps there are more people looking.

By restore or repair a steering wheel I mean the following simple things:
1. the steering wheel has cracks filled in with some sort of putty, compound, glue, etc.
2. the steering wheel has been sanded and made to look reasonably nice and smooth.
3. the person repairing the steering wheel can tell us exactly what product was used by brand and part number or exact name of the product.
4. most importantly, a couple of years have passed with the steering wheel being used on a truck that is being used, and cracks have not reappeared [edit: have not reappeared in the repaired crack, such as the repair epoxy cracking].

After searching on the forum, I have found nobody has permanently repaired their steering wheel yet, or if they have they can't remember or give info on exactly what was used so that somebody else could pick the stuff up out of a wide variety of products available. There's a whole bunch of might be able to use this, or might be able to use that, and a whole bunch of I used this and I used that and look here at these pictures of how great it turned out. But then rare is the report back on the failure after time, and no reports at all that I found of success over time. Success the day of a repair or a week or two later does not count.

I propose a challenge, please prove me wrong about not being able to search and find results because I'm a dummy, or those who have the good experience please post up new pictures of an old repair that is holding up along with exact product used.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 08-20-2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: clarity
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote