View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #808
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Chasing gremlins in the wiring this weekend. Wasn't getting any light in the guage cluster, voltmeter wasn't working, speedo not working, etc.

Pulled the cluster back out of the dash and checked all the circuits for continuity. Made up a nice cheat sheet while I was at it. Circuits were all intact, but I do worry about that cheezy wiring connection. All those little copper leads are just kind of blowin' in the wind.

While I had it apart, I'd read about some upgrades on this site. Painted the housing chrome and used the #168 bulbs (all new) rather than the #194. Since I had no light before, its tough to judge improvement but it seems to me that it will be bright enough now.

Had blown fuse which I think explains the voltmeter not working. I am a little concerned because I think I've already replaced that fuse a couple times (not keeping close enough track of it over time). Hopefully, not a problem in my wiring but I'll keep an eye on it. Bench tested my clock and it worked. After replacing the clock fuse I had power at the connector to the clock. Plug the connector into the clock for cluster reassembly and no clock - dang

Chased down the issue on the speedo. Pretty sure it is an adapter at the NP205 end that's broke. I doubt that adapter was correct for the 33's I put on so likely need to replace it anyway. Just having a little trouble figuring out what I need to get for 350, SM465, NP205, 3.07 gearing and 33 Inch tires. Removed the adapter and connected the speedo cable directly to the NP205. Wife and I drove it down the road and filled a tank at the station. Speedo at least work, and now I've got a couple miles on the odometer

Next up figure out why the windshield washer isn't working. Wipers themselves work. There are only 2 wires to the washer pump, white and dark blue. White is hot with the key on. I believe that the blue should be ground when the button is pushed on the switch. Tested that at the washer connector end and no continuity to ground when the button was pushed by my lovely assistant. So, maybe I've already killed the new switch messing around with my wiring. Figured what could I lose. Hooked a lead on the pump itself to ground and tried applying 12V to the other lead - nothing from the pump. I'd assume I'd at least hear something. So, maybe a bad pump also.

Trip to the gas station a mile or so down the road was at least uneventful. Steering is going to take some getting used to. I haven't got the front end aligned other than with a tape measure when I reassembled the front end. I don't know that the truck is trying to wander as much as that the steering is VERY sensitive to any movement of the steering wheel. Don't really like it the way it is, but not sure what to do about it and won't do anything until I get the front end aligned. Other than that, the only thing I noticed was noise from the rear of the truck. I'm thinking that the drum has likely got surface rust and the shoes on at least one side are rubbing a bit. Don't think that will be a biggie. Maybe just do the reverse/brake/reverse/brake deal to see if they'll self adjust like they are supposed to.
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote