View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #273
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Well, after a bunch of research and talking with folks more in the know than me, I found out what is causing my idle issues, at least more than an other one specific item. The cam profile is too much for the stock computer to handle. Even though the website listed it as being "computer friendly", there is just too much duration at 0.050 lift.

I spoke with Marty Fletcher this morning. He is something of a tuning guru when it comes to the Dodge Magnum engine line. Marty told me the maximum duration the stock computer can tolerate is no more than 210 degrees of duration at 0.050 lift. Period.

I thought the cam I bought fell in line with this, but I guess I screwed the pooch there. Even though this is supposed to be computer compatible and a good cam for towing use, the cam has 212 degrees of duration on the intake side and 218 degrees on the exhaust side. This causes the MAP sensor fits, since the intake manifold vacuum drops below 18" when idling, causing the IAC to "search" for the right signal value while running the idle speed up and down and dumps extra fuel.

Either I can go back to the stock cam or I can go to and OBD-2 system with a programmer and a custom tune to work with the cam I have. If I go OBD-2, my best plan would be to get a complete parts truck as a donor with all the needed sensors and harness components, then sell off the parts I don't need before scrapping the rest, to offset my costs. This is pretty much the plan, but probably not until next year.

-Joe
Attached Images