View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 12:21 AM   #461
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Without some photos it's pretty hard. But first I cut the piece off the truck, cleanly as could be with a very narrow cut off disc. I drilled the spot welds that were on the bottom out http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...ls-222549.html

Hopefully you can see the photos with the stupid photo bucket crap.

I then made a template out of poster board (thin cardboard, the boxes you put a shirt in at Christmas work perfect) marking where the folds will be.

I then cut the metal out, leaving it a little big being I can trim it later. I made the little body line using a piece of metal laying on my "anvil" (a 2.5 inch thick piece of metal on my bench.) I simply laid the patch on top of this piece of metal lining it up with the marks and put another piece along the line on top and struck the top of that piece with a hammer to push the metal down along the line. It works cool in that the body line fades away as it rolls under, so I only hit it down along that line where I wanted it and not at the bottom, wham, it looks just like the original.

I then folded the large end on it where it goes into the door jamb between two pieces of angle iron in the vice (a mini sheet metal brake) and then using a shrinker/stretcher shrank that fold where it was needed to make the curve in the panel to match the cowl.

I punched the holes to plug weld it, and the larger hole for the lower fender bolt.

That's all there is to it but I know it's not easy to picture without....pictures.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote