View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #159
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

A few steps back this weekend after getting some parts in.

Got the right power steering pump for the bracket. It had to be one with the offset cap. I had two Saginaw push on style ones and neither of them fit because of the standard cap (looks like a pear). So, bracket went on only to find the lower fluid tube smacks right into the driver side engine mount. ugh. I need about an inch cut out of the engine mount to give the steering tube some clearance.

Moved onto steering. Got my 3/4" plated steering shaft and 3/4 x 3/4 borgeson joint. The joint is too small to fit over the steering column end and the steering shaft at 3/4 is too small to mate with the S10 slip shaft end. Not sure what to do next.

Also on steering, went and grabbed a 2" U exhaust bracket to hold the steering column under the dash. I saw a few other builds that used this trick. 2" was 1/2" diameter too narrow to use the existing holes under the dash. Back to the store

Can't seem to find anyone that sells the radiator bushing/pad for an aftermarket universal 19x22. The radiator is thicker than the original S10 radiator, so I can't use those ones.

This picture of the radiator hangers is from the S10 build thread, but I couldn't find details on what was used for the top or bottom of the radiator. Maybe @skymangs has a suggestion?

Went to start fabricating the accelerator pedal and realized I have no idea how it connects to the carburetor. Is it a cable? I kept the S10 cable from the other cab, but it seems like there should be a bracket on the carburetor to hold the cable housing.

Went to position the accelerator and brake pedal and realized the brake pedal is on the left side of the steering column. It feels super awkward for it to be over there. How do you guys solve that problem? Just cut the brake pedal arm and add a horizontal piece to move it over?

Edit: Here's a picture that makes sense to me on the cable position and pedal position. What is odd to me, however, is that with the pedals in this position I feel like I'm sitting to one side of the steering column. I guess I'm used to the natural position of the foot to be to the right of the steering column for both pedals.

I've made a lot of progress these past few months and deliberately skipped many details that I could "work out later." Well, the devil is in the details.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride

Last edited by gigamanx; 10-09-2017 at 10:14 AM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote