View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
mikeyj350

Re: 1991 V3500 Project

Day 1, got a couple hours in working on it. Ran out to the local scrapyard and got a whole underhood wiring harness out of a 90 suburban for $10 to use for whatever wires I end up needing. Gotta love u-pull-it yards!!! Also snapped up a front bumper for $50 off an 84 C10. Got lucky, it has the bumperettes on it too which are pretty hard to find in good shape these days.

The chewed wiring was mainly limited to under the battery tray (where mr. mouse had made his nest) with a couple of the RH marker light wires, and then the two small alternator control wires were also chewed. I cut out the bad areas and soldered in replacements from the harness I got out of the burb. Pulled probably 20 mud dauber nests out of various locations under the hood. Gross!! At least the mud daubers themselves appear to have long since moved along.

Under the dash, there were a LOT of aftermarket alterations that had been made, and lots of poorly-engineered wiring jobs. I've got a pretty good background in vehicle wiring (as well as being an electrical engineer) and so I'm a stickler for neat wiring and good connections. Already yanked out a few good coils of aftermarket wiring to do with an old security system and some aftermarket lights that weren't even there anymore.

I finally got to a point where I was ready to apply power and hit the key. I want to know if this thing runs!!! I stuck a battery in and started turning things on. Lights work great, power windows and locks work, radio works... nice! Poured some fuel in the TBI and she fired right up! Won't stay running though, looks like she isn't getting fuel from either tank. I'll probably need to drop both tanks and clean them out, and replace the pumps while I'm in there. Definitely stale fuel in there.

That's it for Day 1... hope to get her going soon!
mikeyj350 is offline   Reply With Quote