View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
mikeyj350

Re: 1991 V3500 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
Your goal sounds familiar, and it is a good one! Sweet truck. It will look good with the stock bed back on. Just a tip but if you get the high pressure rated fuel hose, efi style clamps, and pollak selector valve, your fuel system would be ready for a higher pressure system in the future. Could be aftermarket on your 383 or something different but you won’t have to duplicate work. Welcome and good luck.
Hey Marcus thanks for the warm welcome, I'm glad the mission sounds familiar It's funny, yours was one of only 2-3 V3500 projects I came across online after a brief search and I thought, man, THAT is a sweet truck!!! Your advice is well-taken about limiting the amount of duplicate work... that is indeed the goal! Everything I'm taking apart and replacing now I'm using high-quality parts that should be forward-compatible with any mods I decide to make in the future, including the parts you mentioned. Thanks for all the writeups and progress you've shown over the years, it's definitely helped spark some ideas for things I want to do with mine eventually! For now it's a much more mundane focus... get her back to a "clean slate" starting point, tend to the ever-growing list of stuff that needs attention, and get her back on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Nice truck! I often search for 91 v3500’s on Craigslist and have yet to see one for sale.
Thanks! Yeah, you know it's funny, I was actually originally looking for a 91-95 K3500 crew (new[er] body style) because of the 4L80E. I actually found this one by mistake, and didn't realize they put that same tranny in the squarebody for just that ONE year. I started researching a bit and thought oh man, THIS is the truck I want. I've always been partial to the squarebodies (my daily driver is an 88 caprice wagon, same exact color lol), so this will be a perfect addition to the fleet!

As far as progress, it's been slow since last weekend, waiting on all the parts I ordered to arrive before really digging in. I did pull the 3 driveshafts for rebuilding, I'm a little worried about the front prop shaft, it has a fair amount of axial play which the drivetrain shop says may mean $$$. We'll see. For now the estimate is $500 to refurbish all three (ujoints, balance, etc), but could go up from there if more work is needed. Seemed a bit high to me, but it's been a decade or so since I've had this kind of work done, and at that time it was only a single driveshaft for a G-body.

Only noteworthy remark at this point, if anyone decides to throw in a Walbro fuel pump, make sure you also buy the Walbro strainer (pump #5CA400, strainer #125-547) because the stock strainer that comes with the sending unit wont fit, it's too small. That's going to bite me in extra shipping time and cost, since the part isn't available locally. Oh well, first of many experiences like this I suppose

Thanks for the responses guys!
mikeyj350 is offline   Reply With Quote