View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #828
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

Bumping this one back up. Took some time off from this thing while researching plans/options. Measurements indicate my factory 12-bolt will be too wide w/my current wheel set-up & the narrower 9" I have will be too narrow. Been investigating possible wheel choices to allow using the 9". I know exactly what I want but it's hard to pull the trigger when that money can be used toward the big picture (never know when I'm going to come across that future gearhead optioned home within my budget so I have to always be ready).

So, I turned my focus to other items. I have everything set-up for bags on this thing but really have been leaning toward changing to coil-overs. Since my rear shock set-up utilizes the G-body (Monte Carlo SS) shock arrangement, that was pretty easy to solve. The front set-up is an early version of PB's Dropmember. I spoke w/PB & they don't make an upper C/O mount for my 'older' version. Of course I could update to a newer unit that is C/O ready but I'm not spending the $$ over again. I built the rear suspension set-up so I'm pretty sure I can fab a new C/O friendly upper mount for my older Dropmember. I need to reach out to Ride Tech about shock lengths/spring rates that will work for my set-up & use that info as I design the mounts so I can optimize the shock travel (I want the longest travel possible).

Beyond that, I finished up the cab floor mods. With the cab now on the new chassis I could verify clearances. Everything cleared as hoped but the bellhousing was too close for my comfort level. The 2pc high hump cover allowed minimal gap @ the bell housing on the 700r4 (I couldn't slide my finger-tip through). I decided make the 2pc set-up a 1pc unit & remove the flange area where the clearance was the tightest. Then I needed to finish out the area cut out for the T/A x-member hoop extension (I'm running a 1pc drive shaft so clearance was necessary). I decided to flange the sheet metal cover & bolt it in like the 'high-hump' bellhousing cover vs welding it to the floor.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote