View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #28
68c10airstream

Re: So what are your plans for heating your garage this winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigpardo View Post
so I am a cheap ass for sure. but have always loved the idea of waste oil heat. does anyone have it? the shop by me does and loves heating the shop for free. just keep the stuff filtered well in the tank and change the units filters often. when I get a garage to work in I am sneaking in waste heat for sure.
Funny you mention waste oil heater, because i streamlined my post earlier but the last shop has a waste oil heater and that was the unit that was poisoning us. It was a steel design that had tubes welded to end plates and had to be scrapped with a homemade spoon dragged through the tubes to remove the rust. Another employee did it for years and was sick of doing it so i was a newer worker and took it on. Guess what, as i dragged the spoon through the tubes it broke through the rusted out tubes. Ironic, it was 18 years to this day (opening day rifle season), called the boss, he said i created the mess, fix it. It was the weekend and i offered to take the skidsteer and drop the heater, remove the heat exchanger, get the muffler shop (friend) to get new thick wall steel exhaust pipe and retube it with free labor (completely off the clock). He instructed to make a temporary repair that lasted 3 weeks and then *****ed when it failed. That repair costed him a $5.00 piece of metal and a employee leaving him.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote