View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Steelheader

Smile Re: Anyone restore their alloy wheels?

I've done a few sets at home , they took some time and some elbow grease but they came out pretty nice . The last set where off my 2011 gmc 2500 , up here in upstate N.Y. with the amount of salt on the roads you only get about 3-4 years out of clear coated aluminum before the oxidation realy starts showing .
I started with a can of paint remover and stripped the clear coat . Then went after them with scotch bright pads on the bad spots and then worked my way through until I was on polishes and pads . Ended up using mothers power ball and a buffer until they shined like a mirror .
Those ones I ended up not putting clear coat back on , so evertime I would wash it I would just throw a little polish on the rims and they would shine up pretty quick , but I would say if you didn't plan on keeping up on polishing and cleaning they would probably go to hell in a hurry , so if you wanted to just re-do every few years ( dependent on climate and conditions ) I would thow some rim clear coat back on . Good luck .
Steelheader is offline   Reply With Quote