View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
King951

Re: Should I be worried with these temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Are you sure that your readings are accurate? Factory gauges are often just a guess, and sending units can leave something to be desired....

That said, if you're running a pressurized system in good working order, with reasonably fresh 50/50 antifreeze mix, you're still safe at those temps. Nothing should be boiling out.

I like to have these basics: Sealed system (takes a correct rad. cap) with a coolant recovery tank. This keeps the radiator completely full, and any coolant lost on hot shutdown will be recovered. Proper fan shroud is a must. HD fan clutch with a six or seven blade fan (if you have a flex fan, send it to the dump). With radiator, hoses, & t-stat in good condition, you shouldn't have any cooling problems.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system3.htm
Fluid - Freezing Point - Boiling Point

Pure Water: 0 C / 32 F - 100 C / 212 F
50/50 mix of C2H6O2/Water: -37 C / -35 F - 106 C / 223 F
70/30 mix of C2H6O2/Water: -55 C / -67 F - 113 C / 235 F

The temperature of the coolant can sometimes reach 250 to 275 F (121 to 135 C). Even with ethylene glycol added, these temperatures would boil the coolant, so something additional must be done to raise its boiling point.

The cooling system uses pressure to further raise the boiling point of the coolant. Just as the boiling temperature of water is higher in a pressure cooker, the boiling temperature of coolant is higher if you pressurize the system. Most cars have a pressure limit of 14 to 15 pounds per square inch (psi), which raises the boiling point another 45 F (25 C) so the coolant can withstand the high temperatures.
Looking under the cap it looks completely clear, I am assuming it is straight water no coolant. I topped it off a couple times with water as it was about 1-2 inches low, it then spit out the coolant next stop as I don't have an overflow.

My fan shroud is busted on the bottom half pretty bad. I can go take a photo. Not sure how bad that affects air flow so I just left it. Also, I do not have a vacuum port on my carb so the vacuum advance on the distributor is just plugged off. The timing is set to 5 degrees I believe. (I will check again, was not sure where to set it to.) Also, I do not have an overflow. I fill the radiator up full, next drive it pukes out coolant, and I just leave it as is.

My next steps are gonna be, flush the cooling system and get a good mix of fresh water / coolant, try switching to a 180?, get an overflow, get a new fan shroud, try to get vacuum port on my carb and set correct timing.

Last edited by King951; 11-22-2017 at 08:41 PM.
King951 is offline   Reply With Quote