View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #32
rgunlock

Re: Power steering - how to stiffen it up?

After a test drive with just the shims, I installed the dual steering stabilizers. This job wouldn't have been too bad, but it did take a lot of effort to compress the shocks (at a tough angle) and get them lined up in the mounting bracket. Also, the instructions weren't too good as far as where to mount the brackets. They didn't take into account that the toe adjustments were taking 8" or so of the passenger side so I had to move everything to get it reasonably well centered.

This also made a further improvement in steering. It now takes "intent" to turn the wheel which is one thing I was looking for. The downside is after a turn, you can't just let the wheel slip past your palm to get centered again. You have to steer it back straight. Not sure I like this but I'll see if I can get used to it. I'm thinking that the shims and an upgraded single stabilizer may have been just about right. That's the original O'Reilly's stabilizer at the top of the picture.

Thanks to those who gave advice in this thread. At least I feel safe driving the truck at some speed now on rough/uneven pavement.
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote