View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #230
Scott2

Re: Scott's '51 Build

I'm trying to sort a couple of things out to keep moving and would appreciate suggestions on these questions:

1) I'm going to put the usual 90 degree bend 4" air filter pipe w/cone filter on my LQ4 throttle body. I'm searching and looking at what others have used (Spectre, Airaid, K&N...) and I'm trying to find a good but budget friendly choice vs. some of the ~$400 options. I know this group is great at searching out good deals so does anyone have a recommendation that you are happy with for a little better price?

2) I am also looking at alternative water pump inlets. Mine sticks straight out to the right like a big woody and l think I need a short, straight inlet. I'm using a Champion radiator. See the pic. I've seen a variety in my searches but not a clear solution. Does a straight stub sound right? Any specific products you'd recommend?

3) My door hinges need rebuilt. I bought the usual kits and tried myself but I cannot get them apart even after heat, a dozen liquid wrench type products, and a giant BFH, etc. Is there anyone that rebuilds these hinges as a service? I did see that Flysocal said "Dr. J's" did his - I need to run that down but I'm looking to see if there is anyone else?

4) I am going to plumb the Derale Trans Cooler (mounted outside of right frame rail under the cab) for my 4L80e including a pass through the radiator. With the LS type motor there isn't much room along the right side frame rail for the lines and the exhaust system (Hooker cast headers) is pretty close. Any suggestions on the best routing? Hardline or hose?

Sidenote: I have been installing the VA Air system and last night I was admiring the setup on the motor with the new Sanden compressor sitting up high on Kwik Perf brackets, and realized it has a doggone v-belt pulley! How the heck did I miss that?? So I called VA this morning and it turns out I have the wrong compressor. I've also had the system for 18 months and threw away the compressor carton. But they stepped right up and are sending me the correct compressor ASAP and also sent a call tag to return the current one. Great service and no hassle at all! Gotta love it.

I also had questions about the steam hose connection and a vacuum source for the brake booster but a little searching on the site turned up great answers. It would be so much harder to do a build like these trucks without all the help and the encouragement! Thanks all!
Attached Images

Last edited by Scott2; 12-08-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote