View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
SS317

Troubleshooting help

Ok guys,
I just got the old girl up and running again so I can use her as a daily driver. I was going through things and ended up replacing the starter (it was weak and grinding) and the alternator (bearing shot and barely producing a charge).

Before I replaced all of this stuff early morning a couple days ago I pulled out of the driveway and lost all power, headlights, radio, engine died. Very strange. Within 10 seconds it comes back and I restart and park it at home for the day.

This weekend after replacing all the above stuff I drove her around the back roads hard trying to see if she will die again. I could not get her to duplicate the problem.

This morning I start her up and leave. Halfway down the on ramp to the interstate it does it again. Lose power, all lights, radio. I pull over, and call wife. For grins I put on my battery jump starter and notice the battery is a zero volts. Nothing, Nada. I run home and get a backup battery I have for the camper to try and get her home. Hook it up and she starts like normal. I'm about to drive away and before I shut the hood I notice sparks aft of the starter. I quickly unhooked the battery and pulled her home.

Tonight I get home and try to find where the sparks are coming from. I crawled under the truck and looked all over the starter area. I don't see a thing. I hooked up the battery from the top and could see some sparks but can't pin point the exact spot. I don't have a helper until this weekend to have someone connect the battery while I'm under there.

What could be causing this short? I have new wiring throughout the truck, kits from Classic parts, and the start wiring is very clean and precise. I wire airplanes for a living so I know wiring pretty well.

Where could this short be? There aren't any wires around there and I can't find any burn marks. Could the starter be shorting directly to engine? This only happens when the battery is hooked up. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Cheers.
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote