View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #741
Don Quixote

Re: Post Your Straight Six Pics!

Here is my 292 build. It's not too pretty but it is functional.

I'm running Tom Langdon's headers, Offenhauser intake with water heat, Edelbrock 500cfm with manual choke, mid-70s stock HEI dizzy. The engine is bored .040" over and an RV cam installed. I gapped the plugs at .045 but I am considering opening them up to .055.

Problems I had were the Edelbrock 650cfm I pulled from the small block I pulled out was simply too big, hence the 500cfm. The Proform dizzy I picked up turned out to be a wobbly, barely functioning POS. The Edelbrock choke cable was also a turd so I found the stock cable with correct handle from SOKY. I also had an issue with it dying on the road but that turned out to be a bad 5psi oil pressure switch I have for the fuel pumps.

Problems I anticipated but did not have were the manifold mounting. I used the small hold-downs where they would fit and double stacked washers where they would not. I pulled the outside studs out and I used Grade 5 bolts for the install as they expand with the heat better than Grade 8.

I started the initial timing at 8* but I have since advanced it by ear. I may be at 10* or 11* and no pinging. I keep the idle set at about 500rpm and there is no movement or vibration.

The tube off the valve cover goes to an old external oil filter that I gutted and filled with steel wool and activated charcoal and rednecked an evap system together as I run dual tanks and the tank in the rear does not vent through the cap. Now, neither does the in-cab tank and the smell in the cab is all but gone.

Current problems are few, mainly it likes to mark its territory out the back, I think it's the rear main but I haven't really ventured into it.

I am on the road a lot and this engine has 10,000 miles since I installed it this past April. I cruise no more than 3,000rpm but typically 2700-2800rpm which puts me at about 62mph. A Gear Vendors would be really nice. My mileage, regardless of what I am doing, loaded, pulling, empty, shut off, it hovers around 10mpg and no change to that with a 15,000 pound trailer. No change pulling my Indian to Arizona from Tennessee either.

Cold starting I found it to be rather warm blooded and even at 20* I have never used full choke. Once warm, it will start with no more than a blip on the key.
Attached Images

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote