View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
sixty4bigwindow

Re: I guess it's my turn. Build thread for "Rocket"

So after we brought the truck home, dad found a friend of a friend with a 327 and a turbo 400 for sale. Supposedly, this was a corvette 327 block, rebuilt and with an RV cam. Me being a youngn' at the time, wasn't sure of anything lol. But the truck for sure has a loppy idle, so pretty sure there was some sort of cam installed.

Unfortunately from the pic above is really the ONLY pic I have of the truck throughout the early years. As you can see too, this is a small window cab. Along the road, Dad picked up a big window longbed 64, and we did the cab swap, and sold the longbed afterwards (a move I am HEAVILY regretting at this point, wish I had that just for a parts and fun truck.) Dad's and my plans had varied on what the "finished product" would look like, but we both agreed, that a street machine would be it. Colors, suspension, and motor choice were always debated between us. Now that he passed, I have decided on a few "final" things with it, but a lot of it is still learning as I build, what I can afford, and enjoying the journey, even though it is TOUGH as s*** without him here to help. Over the years of the "pre-Rocket" project, after the cab-swap, dad had help from a few of his buddies with certain things. And I'll admit, I helped on some of the "decisions" at that time lol. Some were good, most were not.

Sorry this one is mostly words, but I felt like I had to get at least a little back story out of the way.

Now I'll start to pick up where I do have photo evidence lol.

First pic is being towed from my parents driveway, to a mechanic (friend of my moms,) who did the wiring harness install as a tribute gift after Dad passed away. Truck wasn't running at this time after a power draw somewhere (hence the new harness.)

Second was me driving it for the first time since Dad passed, and the first time it moved under its own power in about a year and a half. That was an emotional drive for me. But it was going right to my FIL's house, for me to get started on the full disc brake conversion with dropped spindles from CPP.

3rd was actually before Dad passed away, one of the last things he did was get some holds filled up from the trim, sanded a bit, and a coat of flat black in the driveway to keep it one color. Not the best way to paint and body, but it is holding up pretty well even today.

Last 2 are of the start of the disc brake swap saga (and it was a saga.)
Attached Images

sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote