View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #255
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Great progress today now that I don't have shorts. Headlights and park lamps work. Turn signals work great

Onto the rear!

TLDR: Scratch all that. I dug into the steering column a bit and found the culprit. A crossed wired touching. Ugh. All works now... brakes, turn, yes!

I found my rear end problem is in the way the column is wired for the universal column I bought. The right rear and left rear turn signal wires M and N have power running through them even when turn is off. I resolved this by splicing the tail lights with the front turn signals. Worked great! So the rear now has park working and taillights.

Brakes are the problem! I have confirmed my brake switch completes the circuit. Power goes through to the orange wire from the white wire. White happens to also be brake input, supposedly. In the steering column, this is also always powered so I assume that's where the power comes from.

An academic question. I have a two wired LED rear lamp.

1. If I have park on, they are dimly lit. Great!
2. If I have turn signal on, they are super bright while flashing. Great!
3. If I have both park and turn on, they get bright and dim. Great!
4. If I am driving down the road and put my brakes on. Then put my turn signal on, what are the rear lights supposed to do? How do they blink if the brake power is keeping them on?

I'm asking because I'm thinking I need to use the 3rd brake light wire in my wiring harness and connect it to the rear lights so when brakes are depressed, the rear light goes on. Otherwise, my brakes aren't sending anything to the rear

Update: Odd situation. The third brake light wire is always powered. I just checked it and the lights are on. Looks like a fault inside my harness if that's the case. I would imagine this isn't supposed to have power until I press the brake pedal..

Yeah so after all that stuff above, it was a crossed wire in the steering column that was feeding a few of the rear turn signal wires at the wrong times. Problem solved. Brakes work, turn works. I can now safely tell my fellow motorists what I'm doing

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride

Last edited by gigamanx; 12-23-2017 at 10:41 PM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote