View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 02:29 AM   #3
Killer Bee

Re: Questions about using a timing light

before you get too carried away with that fancy light, I'd recommend some basic functions first..

first of all, your engine is a 4 cycle or 4 stroke [suck, squeeze, bang, blow] so disregard the 2 cycle setting for now.

the R on your timing scale stands for retarded as ATDC or after top dead center..

your timing is probably somewhere in the BTDC range or before top dead center..

the scale may have more numbers on the BTDC side from 0 that the ATDC..

you should clean off the scale, [engine off of course] and rub some chalk or marker paint of some kind in the lines and numbers so you can see them more easily..

same with the groove on the balancer, you may have to bump or bar the engine around to get that groove in an accessible location..

somewhere along the bottom of the engine while looking up is usually easiest for the balancer..

to see what your base timing is, disconnect the vacuum advance hose and plug the port on the carb..

a short length of hose with a smooth pin or something wedged in it will do or you can buy an assortment of vacuum plugs from any auto parts store..

place the inductive pickup on number 1 plug wire, away from exhaust, and leave the timing light settings to zero..

start the engine and shoot the light at your scale, you should be reading something in the neighborhood of 8°-12° BTDC..

some applications only have a zero indicator and an advance light is required to get the reading by dialing the light to the 0 mark..

also used for finding/adjusting total timing which are typically values much higher than the base timing scale provided..

the values I'm using are round numbers in a typical, stock V8 engine.. your engine may perform better at different settings..

for stock applications, the base timing adjustments can often be found on a decal underhood if not missing or in a common tune-up manual..

that's all I got for today, please let us now how you make out, good luck!