View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #1361
gigamanx

Re: My 50 roadster pickup build

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Nut case, here's my info on primer and paint. Now remember, I'M NOT A PRO PAINTER, just you average joe. I used all PPG products on my truck. Now we use a combination of Shop line and PPG. Shop line is made by PPG, just cost less and not the same kind of warrenty.

PPG products
Exopy primer DP-40LF (comes in several colors)
Hardner DP-402LF

Buff polyester primer MX-245 high build(no longer made)

Primer surfacer K-36
Hardner K-201
Some primers also have a reducer, and I can't find it in my old files.

I used a single stage paint with NO clear.
Acrylic Urethane DCC (47100 was my color)
Urethane reducer DT 870
Urethane hardner DU5

Shop line products
Epoxy primer JP-371
Hardner JH-3770

High build primer filler JP209
uses same hardner and reducer at primer sufacer

Primer surfacer JP202
Hardner JH301
Reducer JR 506

We ONLY have PPG dealer in my town. You may have a different paint company. I've been using PPG since the late 70's, before that I use DuPont on my 56 chevy, but like PPG better.

You best bet is to get to know your paint person, that can help guide you through just about everything. You can even stop at body shops and ask them what primers, etc. they use.

Paint guns are really hard to say. My truck was painted with a Walmart HVLP gun and the paint came out fine. Now days they want a different tip for solids and clear. Also some high build primers need a 2.0 tip. East wood has some good guns for a fair price.

Which ever product you buy, get the product or data sheets, it tell how to mix, flash time, etc.

Sand paper is ????, each person does it different. I use 180 to 220 dry for my primers, when I'm sure body work is done, by final primer, is done with 400 or 600 wet paper.

Cutting and buffing the paint is again up to each person, I normally start with 1500, then 2500 wet paper then 5000 with palm sander. Then buff.

Hope this helps...Jim
This is awesome. We might need a paint thread sticky sometime. I have no idea what I'm doing and just need someone to say...this works but won't break the bank.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote