View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

I have a Radio Shack SSB w/pre-amp mic rig currently in my '68 Stepside. It's a ''rover'' with a stubby mag-mount and cigar plug DC feed, so I can put it any of my vehicles.
I used to run a HyGain stick on a break-over Hustler mast that folded right above the upper rail if the bed side. Coax ran from the cab thru a hole in the floor out to the drivers side rear step bumper to a mount with a big coil spring [that's all still there] where the mast threaded into the spring top. It's right behind the lollypop-style taillight. I will check out that coax for shorts, as it's about 40 years old, and replace as necessary. [When I decide on a permanent rig in the stepside.] Right now the rover rig could also go to the Jimmy for a weekend. The mag-mount stubby antennas suck for real transmission, however. You need a 1/4-wave whip to be effective. But its OK for convoy-type ranges.
A well-tuned CB [barefoot -- no illegal 100 watt kicker] and adult-size antenna will greatly outperform any FRS unit by miles.
Only problem is, there isn't much intelligent life on the frequency anymore [as if there ever were]. It's eerily silent compared to the old days, like out of some Chuck Heston flick.
We, as a body of informed 67-72 Operators, could change that, if we collectively decide to use the frequency for our mutual support and amusement, not just some show queen gewgaw accessory, but it will take effort.
Remember- no roaming minutes for skip.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 12-30-2017 at 03:32 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote