View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
lilpanther

1972 GMC Project Future Daily Driver

Hey everyone, Long time lurker here. I have wanted one of these trucks for years and about 4 or 5 months ago a buddy mentioned that he had one sitting around he would get rid of so I figured it couldn't hurt to go look at it. When I got there I found a 72' shortbed fleetside just begging to be drug out of his yard and be put back on the road.

It's a manual brake, power steering truck that was originally a 6 cylinder/ 3 speed truck that someone swapped an 80's 305/700r4 into. I am trying to get this truck back on the road as a semi budget daily driver so I will most likely be leaving the 305 and swap the 700r4 out for a th400 that a buddy offered me since I found the truck only has 3.07's in the rear it really doesn't need overdrive.

I already went to the local junkyard and snagged a serpentine set-up from a 95' chevy and some electric fans from a 2005 nissan that fit the radiator perfectly. Whenever the people that threw this truck together swapped the 305 into it they pretty well hacked the wiring so I will be putting a good bit of time into that since wherever they needed power they just twisted bare wires together and left it hanging.

It will be a pretty slow start to this project since I am in the middle of trying to finish up my 46' Chevy rat rod but I wanted to go ahead and get a thread made so I can update it as I do some small things to it in the meantime.

Enough rambling, Here are some pictures of the truck.

My first time seeing the truck at my buddies house.

Underhood pic along with some pictures of the hack job wiring.

Interior pictures. It didn't have a glovebox door so I have no clue what the original options on it were.

Somebody drilled an old tach into the cluster.

My Junkyard serpentine set-up waiting to go on and fans.

And some outside pictures.

Straight off the trailer with mold and moss on it.

After a good scrubbing it shined up nicely. The paint job is far from perfect but it will do for a driver.

And a picture of it out in the yard with my semi-daily driver that is 5.3/60e swapped.

Last edited by lilpanther; 01-04-2018 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Re-sized pictures
lilpanther is offline   Reply With Quote