View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
superhondaz50

Re: Has anyone ever "opened up" their center crossmember to fit a one piece drive sha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
I thought about that with my lwb 72, but could not justify the efforts. Somewhere in my research, someone said that there are practical limits to the length of a driveshaft and I was sticking in the neighborhood of 350 to 400 horsepower and similar torque values. So, I just went with the beefed up carrier bearing and two piece system. IIRC one of the driveshaft builders I contacted did not like the idea due to the length. Please don't let me squelch your plans, but do ask your contacts about how long they are comfortable building the shaft. Don't forget to check into all the shaft angles too. You may find that your rear end has to be set up for the single piece.
Cool, I plan on using a 2012 Dodge RAM 5" aluminum shaft, it is 71" long, 1350 u joints, I believe 1 piece C10 shafts are around 67", so I should be good to go with a shortening job. My truck currently has the skinny 2" shaft, 1310 joints, and the terrible nutsack looking center support. It needs an upgrade lol

Should note I have a long tail slip yoke TH400, 250HP 350, nothing special.

Last edited by superhondaz50; 01-08-2018 at 06:32 PM.
superhondaz50 is offline   Reply With Quote