View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
Rich69shortfleet

Re: Bed side rails: why wouldn't a set for '73 fit?

Well, it does not look like anyone but me gives a crap since the last 6 posts have all been from myself, but I'll forge ahead.

I did recently buy a set of bed rails with the hope I can make them work. I test fit some parts yesterday and I will be able to make it work! This particular brand and style of bed rails consists of end posts that mount in the stake pockets with the rail itself being a simple tube. The tube fits on the end posts and the whole contraption is attached at the stake pockets.

Since no one makes a bed rail set for our trucks and I was unable to identify another more modern truck that has the exact same stake pocket dimensions, what I've done is buy a set with rails longer than I need with the plan to be to mount the end posts, measure and then cut the rail tubes to the specific length I will need. The tubes are stainless steel so I'll have to find a good way to cleanly cut such hard metal.

Below are a few photos of my test fit of the end posts and one with an end post attached to a rail to show what it will look like installed. If you want to look these up this set is a Putco Crossrail set. The tubes are oval instead of round and are 1.75" tall and 2.5" wide. They are nice and beefy. The ends are die cast metal that has been chromed and the rail tubes are chromed stainless steel. This particular set typically sells for $670 retail but I got a super bargain in that I only paid $200 shipped. They were brand new in a sealed box too. I like these Crossrail ends as they provide numerous tie down points each. The tubes are fairly thick and heavy and will not dent or bend easily.

I do have a Pace Edwards retractable tonneau cover in which the cover rails slightly cover the stake pockets so I will be mounting the end posts partially on top of the cover rails and will need to make some heavy rubber pads to support the end post bases so they will sit even and flush and to protect the top of the truck bed. For purposes of the test fit and photos I have a small piece of metal in place of where the rubber pads will sit.

I'll post more info and photos as I progress on the install. A nasty Winter storm is coming tonight so it may be a while before I can get to this and I need to make those rubber pads yet as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rich69shortfleet; 01-10-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote