View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #15
hemi43

Re: Tuff Country EX Ride springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortoyz View Post
What steps did you take to correct crab walk and move the axle back?
The spacer blocks with the 2 1/2 degree taper are about 1" thick in the middle. All I did was off set the locating pin rearward to move the axle backwards. It doesn't take much to have a noticeable crab walk. The driver's side is only 1/4" further back than the passenger side and it made a world of difference.
My truck has never been hit, and suspect that the slight crab walk has been in the truck since new because of build tolerances back in 1970.

I would be curious if anyone else's truck is out like mine, and it only takes a couple Guys and 3 minutes to find out. You need a dead straight bar about 8 feet long and a tape measure. Have someone hold the bar against the side of the rear tire with one end of the bar almost touching the front tire. Now the other person can measure the distance from the bar to a solid point on the frame. I used the bottom bolt of the front spring shackle. Do this on both sides and compare your measurement. I had an 1 1/2" difference. By moving the driver's side rear end back 1/4", I was able to reduce this difference to 3/8", which IMO is close enough. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain.

I will take a picture of the tapered block installed later today.

Last edited by hemi43; 01-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote