View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
dayj1

Re: what electric fans to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by statenine View Post
Hey all, I am in the process of swapping in a 2010 5.3 with 4L60E in my '66. What electric fan setup is everyone using? I am running a Champion aluminum 3-core radiator. I am leaning towards dual 11" Spal fans, but not sure how much clearance I will have once installed?

In particular I was looking at these because it has a built in shroud:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...8aAthbEALw_wcB

This setup is just over 4" thick and I want to make sure it will clear the engine accessory drive? Thanks
If you go with dual fans, you can "cheat" on the clearance a little because the 4" is measured at the fan motors which is the thickest part of the assembly and the part of the motor that is farthest forward is the water pump and is roughly in the center. In other words, the snout of the water pump can actually be further forward than the rear of the fan motors and you can stil have clearance.

Whether or not it will clear is dependent on exactly where you mount your engine. There are a lot of variables that will affect final placement.

The fan you linked will most likely work well. LS engines are not hard to cool. You could likely get by with much lower CFM.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote