View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 AM   #258
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Ok all ... The electrical system is FINISHED! and TESTED!

It's been a long time since these gauges saw power. I've got all the circuits I can test before running the engine tested. I've intentionally had the fuel pump disconnected as there is no fuel in the tank and the pump would not like that.

Name:  IMG_3052.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  45.6 KB

Need to figure out where these two are going to go. That little Dakota Digital Heater/AC control is going to be awesome. Just set a temp and it adjusts the unit to maintain that temp.
Name:  IMG_3053.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  99.1 KB

Soon ... that tach will say something other than 0 RPM.
Name:  IMG_3054.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  46.7 KB

Priming the LS ... yep, it can be done. I followed some directions here loosely, and did not put a hose on the oil pan. That was why their system didn't work as it restricted the flow too much. They also used too large of a bucket so the oil pickup would come uncovered. My mods:
-3 gallon bucket
-No return tubes, just a funnel under the oil pan to catch the oil and return to the bucket
-Total cost, about $60.

The SBC oil pump is perfect. Why? because a 1/4" NPT taps goes right in to the pump output without any drilling. Seriously, I put the pump in a vise and tapped away. It was harder to install the pickup tube.

Oh, and boy was that fun at the autoparts store getting the SBC oil pump. I walked in, there were 3 of them, a younger one helped me (let's say early 20s):
Clerk:How can I help you?
Me: I need a SBC oil pump.
Clerk: What year vehicle?
Me: (holding a straight face) A 2017 Home Depot 3 gallon bucket
Clerk: (just stared at me)
The others: one started laughing, the other was dumbfounded
Me: (I finally smiled)
Clerk: Ok, seriously...
Me: I was being serious.
Clerk: (finally started laughing)
Me: It's a priming bucket for an LS
Clerk: I gotcha
Me: Let's just go with a 1972 Chevy 1/2 ton van with a 350

I'll say, this thing works great so far. I was getting around 40 psi of oil pressure as measured through the gauge/ECU. LS engines are actually a bear to prime. They can take over 15 minutes of constant priming and manual crank rotation to get all the circuits primed. Hence why many guys just pull the plugs and roll it over until they get pressure. I'm old school I guess.
Name:  IMG_3057.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  43.9 KB

The bucket just feeds right in to the plug on the driver side of the block at the oil pump.
Name:  IMG_3058.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  59.0 KB

Oh, and I did roll this thing over briefly when I checked the starter. Um, it's like a dragon stuck in a cave fighting to get out. I mean, it hit hard. I could feel EVERY.SINGLE.COMPRESSION.STROKE. Three to be exact. I don't know if my 10 yr old yellow top Optima is going to like this one.

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote