View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
CC69Rat

Re: Trying to figure out backspace on my front wheels

Welcome to the board from TN

At this point there are a few questions:

Are you planning to use an aftermarket inner fender? Or inners at all? (I am assuming you will)

Do you know if the PB drop member is stock track width (the width from one front wheel to the other as if the truck was on a train track. Is it stock width or is it narrowed? Some of them pull the track width in a bit, also your front spindles (CPP is known for this) will narrow the track width too. Some drop spindles will widen the track width .. it just depends on which ones youre using.

I can tell you, the 22x9 on a 5" BS will not work unless you have one of the items above narrowing the track width a bit and/or lose your inner fenders. On the stock track width, bagged without inner fenders (or Slosh Tubs / trailers, etc.) I would go with a 5.5" BS on an 8 or 8.5" wheel.

My best and highly suggested solution for you is to build the truck like you want it. Bag it, body drop, etc. all you want to do .. THEN measure for your wheels. Buy your wheels to fit the truck, Dont fit your truck to the wheels you bought. Make sense?

My 68 is a static 5.5/7.5 right now with a 20x8.5 and 5 3/8" custom backspacing. 73-87 Kmember, Stock inner fenders, and it's rubbing. Just imagine a 22" wheel about 3/8 or 1/2" further out than mine( adds a total of around .75" more to the outside )

It has probably been done at some point, but in my experience the wheels youre on wont be a good choice unless your DM changes the track.

Hope this helps
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote