View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
randy.powell

Re: Tilt Column Light Green Filter

So with the help of the forum members I had success with the little green light "condoms".

Here's what worked for me. I ordered a package of the AutoMeter green light boots (P/N 3215) as pictured in the above responses as well as a package of the Memotronics green boots (P/N BOOT-G-LARGE) to see which ones would fit better.

Results were the Autometer bulb covers have a lip around the base of the covers that prevent the bulb cover when installed on the metal bulb housing from fitting into the column. You could take a razor blade and trim the lip off the bulb cover once installed over the housing.

The Memotronics don't have the lip and work great! They fit very well (lube with windex to slide onto the bulb housing) and are the right shade of green to match very closely to the instrument cluster lights. They come in a package of 5 which is good because they are very thin. I tore one on the first attempt.

Another trick on the insertion/removal of the actual bulb (P/N 1445) as it's very hard to get to with these old fat fingers is t use a small piece (2-3") of rubber hose just slightly smaller than the bulb diameter to rotate the bulb to insert/remove. Rotate very slightly clockwise to install, Opposite to remove.

Thanks to all for the help! Maybe this will help someone else.

Randy
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote