View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
87Skier

Re: 5.3 into a square -- questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
I prefer a manual, so that takes preference. Also, not running tranny cooler lines, much simpler wiring, and not changing out the steering column is a big plus.

Exhaust question -- It appears I have two options. #1, keep the sm465 and external slave as is, and buy a different drivers side manifold. It will likely take a bit of work to massage the cat in around the slave. I'll be paying an exhaust shop to do that, so that's more dollars. #2, spend $350 for an internal slave, and use the existing manifold and much of the existing collector pipe/cat assembly. This brings with it the hassle of replacing the internal slave if it fails, but makes for a much cleaner exhaust installation.

Which route would you go?
I'm not too familiar with LS swaps in square bodies, but in the 72 and older the stock exhaust manifolds don't fit. I would go with option 2 if you are sure the manifolds fit and convert to internal slave.

For option 1, I would also run matched manifolds. There's the common Hooker LS cast manifolds and the CTS-V.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote