View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #2334
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
We made a thicker gasket and tightened more... fixed my problem... Let me see if I can find that phone number... it has been about a year and half
Got a nice reply from the owner today. Basically said you need a vent. I'll have to see what I can come up with. The only unused 1/2" NPT bung is right under one of the cross sills. I may be able to run a piece of aluminum tubing to a remote vent setup. Will have to see what works best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
Vic, Did that gore tape fix the leak? Sure hope it did. Ben
Decided to go another direction, Ben. Thanks a million, though. I ended up using a product called Seal-All. It looks similar to model car glue but stays somewhat flexible when it dries. I ran a bead around the outside of the gasket and then covered it with aluminum tape. It's BUGLY, but it should work just fine. Also used it to seal around the fittings and each of the nylon washers.

After all that, I tested the pump and lines. That was a bit of a learning curve. The pump would come on for a second or two and quit. According to the all knowing Google, that's normal. It primes the injectors and then waits for the crank signal before re-energizing the fuel pump relay. So to test the system, I had to disconnect the weather pack connector at the pump and jumper 12VDC to it. But during my research, I also read that low fuel level can cause the pump relay to deactivate. I ended up calling Radley Chevrolet out in VA (who sold me the LS and trans) and talked to a guy named Mike. He said the fuel level signal was not used in the GMPP computer and harness. But the best bit of info he gave me was the phone number for the GMPP help center. WooHoo!! If I have any issues when I fire this puppy up in a day or two, hopefully I'll have someone to steer me in the right direction.

The fuel lines are leak free, the pressure reads 60 psi and holds 50 psi back pressure when you shut off the pump. No injector leaks either. I believe I'm about ready to make some noise. I got the bed back down on the frame and started all the bolts. Need to sort out the vent and get it back down on all fours. Painted the intake tube and installed it and the MAF sensor today also.
Getting closer...
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote