View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #70
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Old Girl (aka Project Underhaulin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10_ustacould View Post
I have a question about cooling. Before installing the Edelbrock water pump included with the Tru-Trac system the temp ran dead center on the gauge. now it spends most of its time on the right side of the gauge, basically at the upper limit of the normal gauge. We have the fans configured to come on at 180 and off a 170* but the fans never turn off. So I'm left with a quandary, is the new cooling system inefficient, is the gauge not reading correctly because I disconnected the ammeter, or do I need to put a 160* thermostat in it? I'd love to hear thoughts from folks that have experience with the Tru-Trac system. Thanks in advance.

Attachment 1750668
I see that you've gotten you cooling situation under control, but if it comes back in the summer when it's hot I think part of the problem is your fan set up. I had the same problem with my 65 mustang. I installed a similar flat shroud right before the power tour. It was June, and in Texas and OK. Basically my car ran 210-220 idling or rolling down the interstate. What I came to conclude was the flat part of the shroud was actually blocking the airflow through the radiator going down the road. The air would pass through and hit a wall, so no cooling was happening where those flat areas are. I cut some holes in the shroud and added flaps, and while it helped, it just wasn't good enough. That's why you see factory shrouds are usually 1-2" off of the radiator and dished so the air can flow through the fan hole opening. When the shroud is flat and only 1/2" off the radiator the air has nowhere to go. When I got back home I put a factory shroud and 7 blade fan back on the car and operating temps dropped to 190-195*. Something to think about if the problem comes back in the summer heat.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote