View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #1222
jocko

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDunz View Post
No your right, spent 8 hours today trying to find drums, 6 hole 13” drums and 2 3/4 shoes up front...on a ‘72 3/4 ton??
That's not stock. I can't make out the back - , but if you have 6 lug all the way around, it's possibly a frame swap - i.e. your 3/4 ton GMC body onto a 1/2 ton frame. Not likely anyone went to the trouble to change from 8 to 6 lug on the 3/4 ton frame (5 lug I might believe, but 8 to 6 front suspension/spindles and rear axle is a bit of an odd/out of the ordinary swap to do). Might want to dig around for the frame VIN, it's on the driver's side upper frame rail, visible when looking down into the engine compartment, kinda somewhere around the steering box/ps pump area, sorta kinda. Should be a partial VIN there under years of grime.

If it's 6 lug on the front only, well, who knows... ha. Odd thing to do and I'd recommend checking to see what lug (6 or 8) your spare is! Just so you know which tires to NOT get a flat on
I'd want to know if the frame matches. If it does, then someone must've just swapped on 1/2 ton front suspension - again, a very odd thing to do. Do you have leafs in the back or coils? If coils, that's another clue it's a frame swap as the SPID calls out the rear leaf suspension that was on it when new.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry, I was so focused on the lug # that I missed that you said DRUMS on front. So, no, 6 lug not correct for a 3/4, and drums not correct for a 72. If I had to guess - I'd be willing to be you have a 70 or older 1/2 ton frame and suspension.

Last edited by jocko; 03-08-2018 at 12:17 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote