Thread: Hijack Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #182
special-K
Special Order

Re: Hijack Thread

The swap meet was at the Howard County Fairgrounds in West Friendship, Maryland. Sorry I forgot to tell others. If you got on I-70 headed east you would have driven right past it.

Let me explain the significance of this hubcap. We go to swap meets hoping to find the deal of the century on a truckload of N.O.S. parts, rust free sheet metal, rare and unusual options, and a sausage, right? Well, didn't see any of that. They didn't even sell sausages. But sometimes it means even more to find that one silly little thing that you needed.

On my '95 K500 Suburban I am running 7" Accuride steelies with 76-91 hubcaps. I have a shiny nice set of caps, but for winter I run a tarnished and dull set. When I rotated the tires in early winter the one cap didn't fit too snug. The rolled edge on these aluminum caps gets crushed by the nubs each time they pop on and this one was hard to find a spot where it fit snug. I did the best I could, but danged if I didn't have a bare wheel when I got to where I was going that day.

Don't like a hubcap missing, didn't want to use a nice hubcap, only need one not a set, didn't want to buy a crappy cap off the board that shipping would make cost as much as a mint one, so all winter I have had a cap missing. It was horrible!

So there I was at a swap meet and there was my cap. It wasn't a shiny one, the only 3/4t cap laying there with other 1/2t caps, and I popped the question "How much do you need for that cap?". He said $5, I bought it, and could not wait to go home and pop it on. Never been so happy over a $5 part. Life is good... just in time to run the shiny caps! *

* Actually, I left the dull ones on last summer thinking I should preserve the minty ones since they are getting expensive and will get harder to find.

If you want to know more about that hubcap feel free to ask.

Speaking of hubcaps. Last summer at Carlisle Trucks, me and GR8 68 came back from supper in a sideways raining storm. Backing in next to my tables the rain was pounding my window so I couldn't see squat. I got it to where I'd open my door to check if it could open between tables, look down at the ground and see this:
Name:  IMG_2105.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  59.1 KB
The wind had blown caps all over the place and my two best 73-75 8-lug caps just had to land where my tires needed to be. All I could do is laugh. The next day it got even funnier when I was telling the story to someone and they asking me to sell them to him
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote