View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #95
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
Thank you guys for your input! That's why I love this site.

MAV,
Sorry to hear that. I appreciate the suggestion, and will try it. I've gone through just about every system on the truck except the wipers/washer pump stuff. Might as well be a rubix cube that makes the wipers work...lol.

LOCKDOC,
I appreciate your reply. Thank you. Honestly I am completely clueless as to how the wiper/washer pump operate. I have both the F.S.M. And F.A.M. But I have never removed the wiper/washer assembly. Even when I rewired the truck I didnt pay much attention to what was what under the dash, especially since everything worked as should when I was finished installing the kit. But now I accept that it's on the list of things that should be serviced after 45 years.

From what I have read on this site is that a washer pump rebuild kit is a crapshoot and some folks opt for a newer style pump and relocate it accordingly. Is there any real benefit in swapping to a newer style pump? I don't mind keeping the setup O.E.M. But I'm not opposed to a different setup either. I'm mostly concerned with longevity, reliability, and ease of installation. (Unless it really is worth the extra work for a better setup.)

Living in Southern California, the weather is pretty much consistent year round. It's the few odd days when it isnt that I want to be prepared for.
Rain-X can only do so much.

If you are going to replace the wiper motor anyway you could go ahead and put a kit in the pump. The thing to keep in mind is that anytime a vehicle has sat for a long time without the wipers/washers being used or a new kit is installed in the pump, the whole system has to be primed before the pump will pump any fluid. I use a turkey baster to prime the system while the pump is pumping. Also, while the system is apart blow through all of the hoses and squirter nozzles with an air hose. Do not blow air through the pump, you could rupture the diaphram in the pump. (and blow backwards through the squirter nozzles) Oh, and don't forget to clean the small strainer screen inside the washer tank.

If you decide to go with the external pump there are instructions on here for wiring it to the original wiper/washer switch.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-16-2018 at 07:32 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote