View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #22
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Re: Lifter Tick after rebuild

I've ran the motor for a 50 miles since I reassembled the top end Friday morning. I'm rather positive that the problem was the pushrods and rocker arm mating in the socket. No ticking or funky noises coming from valve train. Actually sound like a sewing machine idling at 750 RPM. A few things, not sure how that happened, either it happened at the machine shop or I might have tighten it down more than needed. Anyho, I replaced all the pushrods, two rockers, changed the oil, set the lash. All the rocker travels was pretty much the same, poly lock set screws had the same amount of thread when tighten down. On the oil change, I cut the filter, nothing really there for particles. I did notice that my magnetic drain plug was exchanged for a OE type. Not thrilled about that, so I dug around a found another magnetic one. So, my take on this problem is start with the easy stuff first, eliminate that area before you go as far to remove the CAM. That was my last option, R&R the CAM with all the fix'ins.
Well, I'm standing there smiling, listing to the motor. Thanking God, that was the solution. Look down the passenger side of the frame, notice a small antifreeze drip. Trace it back to my heater core box. Always something...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is online now   Reply With Quote