View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #34
chevy3100truck

Re: #minijimmygmc Wifey's 1990 K5 Jimmy rebuild

got my assistant to help with sanding the hood down to bare metal. The hood was mint (other than horrible paint) prior to getting knocked over when it was leaned against the back of my garage...... only had a couple of dings from the issue, one on the front edge the other on the body line down the center. Luckily both were accessible from the backside of the hood as they were right at cutouts in the bracing.

Name:  IMG_4394.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  62.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4395.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  47.6 KB

Stripped the tailgate down to bare metal, again, just some typical damage near the top of the tailgate. Hammered out & a skim coat of filler ended up fixing it. I couldn't believe the rear window still worked though, the window channels inside the tailgate were basically non existent, they were only being held together by the felt liners lol.

Name:  IMG_4414.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  43.3 KB

Cowl panel - what a pain in the ass...... I wasn't going to sand this down to bare metal since the louvers are such a pain, but I couldn't leave it, so bare metal it goes...... I'm not sure how many hours it took, but it was way too many!
Name:  IMG_4413.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  46.7 KB

And the canopy - it'd been a while since I sanded the majority of it down to get rid of the factory textured paint. I had chipped out everything from the seams on it since it was loose anyhow, I figured I'd try just filling the seams completely with Everglas, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me, but I've got another canopy and I was thinking of cleaning it up and painting it too (a different colour that this one will be). If the Everglas cracks at least I'll be able to get something else done and just swap them. Lots of little pinholes in the factory fiberglass, and lousy alignment between the two halves, I can see why GM went to using textured paint, hides it all so the quality can be crappy. What I am not doing is getting the top totally flat. It's now smooth, but the fiberglass top has waves to it where the bracing is inside and for something you can't see (it'll be about 7'3" or so off the ground), I'm not going to fix it.

Name:  IMG_4399.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  55.1 KB