View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #25
OregonNed

Re: Took some photographs of the truck yesterday

I don’t mind at all, guys. I had a thread for this project, but all of the photos were on photobucket, so now they do not appear. Bummer. It was a project started in the Fall when a friend of mine into wood working wanted to try a bed. So we went and hand picked enough quarter sawn red oak for the project. He spent the winter milling the lumber using my old bed boards to make a template for each new board. Once down he sanded them out by hand and spent the winter and early spring applying stain and finish on days that were warm enough to dry the finish. He did maybe two coats a week until he had the stain right, and then 13-14 coats of Epiphanes extra UV protection varnish ( the kind they use on boats and kayaks). Between each coat he hand sanded each board with 2x2 inch pieces of various grit sandpaper for a perfect finish. It did take some months. We had pulled the box prior to pulling he boards so it resided in the carport while the truck occupied the garage. It took this opportunity to do some frame restoration and I also replaced the front bed panel and wheel tubs with new. Another buddy helped me sand and paint the inside of the bed sides , wheel tubs, box front and a new rear cross sill. I painted the inside of the tubs with POR 15 and also we sandblasted and painted the inner fenders. Lastly I sandblasted and painted each cross sill with POR 15 as well. Then one Saturday he hauled the boards to the house and we put it all back together. Oh and I also hand polished the stainless bed strips and bought all new hardware. I’d be happy to add some pics to this post of the project!