Thread: Rattle Can?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
hotwls13

Re: Rattle Can?

I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown of the costs involved to do a cheapy scuff and spray with rattle can vs doing it with automotive single stage kit.

About 10 years ago, my Dad had a late 70's stepside he picked up for $1100 and drove it home. It was an ugly flat purple color and the only color he likes is black. On the drive home from picking it up, he stopped at walmart and bought about 15 cans of Krylon Satin Black (he was going for rustoleum, but Krylon was $1 per can cheaper).

Once home, Me, my Dad and my 15yr old Son, scuffed the purple paint with red scotchbrite pads, taped it off with blue masking tape and newspaper. Wiped it down with some damp towels. Air bombed the whole thing right there in the driveway under a carport. We put 3 coats on it. There were a few runs and we missed a few spots (that were easily patched later). My Dad drove that truck for a few Years, sold it to another guy who drove it a couple and then my Dad bought it back again, drove it for a couple more. As far as I know it's still running around with the krylon paint job (my dad recently sold it again). Looked like a black primered/satin'd truck. Nothing fancy but night and day difference from the previous paint.

Found the pics. Looks like it was 8yrs ago and it was a 73.
Attached Images

Last edited by hotwls13; 05-09-2018 at 05:11 PM.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote