View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
joedoh

Re: ID of My Grandfathers Chevy Farm Truck(48?)

well if the emblem has 4 letters numbers, someone switched the hood or emblems because the truck is a 47-50 (no wing windows, has side vent) and 47-48 chevy said THRIFTMASTER or LOADMASTER only, 49-50 said CHEVROLET with the number designation under and trailing, not until 51 did they have the number style Henry talks about (the underlined 4 digit number), 51 had wing windows and no side cowl vent.

for GMC there was 47-48 with underlined GMC only, followed by underlined GMC with the number under and trailing in 49 through 55.

my dad always said if you hear hoofbeats, dont think "zebra". is it possible someone switched the hood and/or badges? sure. is it likely? well, like a zebra in kansas, probably not.

the final clue that its a 47-48 GMC is also something someone could have easily switched, GMC heavy trucks for those two years got 6 hole cutout dually style wheels. chevrolet was a 5 hole cutout wheel. they interchanged, for sure, though

the thing that makes me lean to it actually being a 47 though is the badge LOOKS like unpolished pot metal. in 48 the emblems where chromed, but 47 only they were grey/cast.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote