View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
neirfin

Re: C20 3/4 ton brake upgrade question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
have you inspected all four wheel ends to make sure they're all adjusted properly and making good shoe contact?

flushed and bleed the entire system? brake fluid is hygroscopic so needs to be replaced periodically.. not every year but more often than every 50 years..

does the master cylinder hold or does it slowly creep down?

I see a lot of folks converting and upgrading systems that would probably be sufficient if properly maintained..

my '65 C20 in all its farm years of road salt and manure will still lockup all four wheels..

as far as increasing your pedal effort, I'm sure there are kits for vac and hydro if you're truck has p/s..

good luck!

OK i think you set me on the better path... It would be nice to upgrade the system but you are right, i should inspect and maintain the system as it sits... The answers are, No I haven't checked all four shoes/drums, and it likely needs new shoes and drums to be resurfaced, but it was adjusted in the last few years.... Yes it was bled completely in the last two years or so, and has held the fluid... but it would definitely be the starting point to replace the shoes and drums.

The truck does not have P/S, would that be a requirement for the vacuum needed for the booster? I was thinking there would be a place on the manifold that i could get vacuum from?
neirfin is offline   Reply With Quote