View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
Willys_MB

Re: C20 3/4 ton brake upgrade question

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirfin View Post
I am going to start with the shoes, cleaning and resurfacing the drums, and adjust and bleed and see if that helps. If that isn't helping, i will look into the booster option since yes, the truck is a stock 350 with no cam changes.
That's a good plan. I actually had a similar problem when I first got my truck. I replaced the worn out front shoes, machined the drums, and bled the front, thinking that was my problem. After I got it all put back together and still had no stopping power, I bled the rear and got half a quart of black gunk out of the lines. Now I can stop pretty quickly, even fully loaded.

Definitely go over everything and if it looks suspicious, just replace it because this is your braking system we're talking about. And anything you replace on one side, replace it on the other side. That way everything is the same and you don't have a mix of old and new parts. I didn't do both wheel cylinders (one of those late-night and beer influenced decisions) and the next time I took the truck out I had to put in a new wheel cylinder in on the other side.