View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
dsraven

Re: Spare Tire Holder/Lift

i'm with both parties on this one. sure, keep a can of fix a flat but a spare tire to me is a must have. too much distance between towns where I plan to drive through mountain passes and the cost of having a tow truck bring me a tire. for me, if it is a small hole I could use the fix a flat. for the non repairable hole I need a spare tire. if you have the s10 frame simply bolt up the stock spare tire bracket, stick a wheel/tire under there that is the same diameter as what the rear wheels will be on the final fitting of the truck and keep the stock jack and wheel wrench somewhere. some of the stock screw jacks have an extra little J shaped arrangement on them to grab the rear axle when it sits low so the jack won't fit under the axle, maybe try to find one of those. the other alternative is a scissor style jack that gets right down to a couple inches tall when at the lowest. if you had a long handle that jack could be operated from further back so you can attach the long handle and then push the jack with the handle to get it under the axle and crank the jack. if the truck sits really low and you gotta use the spare you will just have to deal with accessing the tire when the time comes. the stock s10 tire holder has the cable so the tire lets down and can be dragged rearward some so you don't have to get under the truck while it is sitting precariously on a jack. with no spare a bad flat could be an ordeal. not the end of the world but costly if a tow operator has to bring a wheel/tire outta some town in the middle of nowhere. as an example, I had to purchase windshield washer fluid in the middle of the roger's pass section of the trans Canada highway. it was $6 for a gallon sized jug. I would have normally paid under $2 in Calgary for the same jug/brand. can't imagine what a wheel tire combo would be along with the delivery charge, call out charge and double overtime charge to install it on a weekend, or a tow to the nearest tire shop.
just my thoughts, dunno how that relates to your area. if you plan to drive just in the city or close in to the city then it's a different scenario.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote