View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
GM man

Re: Cutting Jimmy floor to access fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I did it when I installed an in-tank pump into my NWP 38 gallon tank for my fuel injection system. Dropping the tank is not a realistic option when you are on a road trip and need to replace the pump. Dropping the tank is not an easy task, especially if it still has several gallons in it.

I made a nice hinged door just big enough to replace the pump and sending unit. Used the piece of floor that I cut out as the door (obviously). Put on a low profile latch, installed some foam weather stripping on the "door jamb" I fabbed up that supports the door to keep out moisture and fumes. Totally concealed under the carpet. Strong enough to stand on without caving in due to the door jamb.
That sounds great. Yeah, out on the road, it would be next to impossible for me to drop this tank... Between my exhaust, trailer hitch, hoses, and then considering how much fuel is in there. My biggest concern now is cutting the channel that runs across the bottom of the floor, which I'm sure is a brace. I don't wanna screw up anything structural 😲

1972 GMC Jimmy 6.0/4L65
1972 Chevrolet long bed 1/2 ton
GM man is offline   Reply With Quote