View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #23
Coley

Smile Re: Got laid off, time to start taking social security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
My friend offered me a job delivering irrigation parts for his store. It pays $19/hr and is part time. I’m intrigued by this, I’d be getting out and meeting people, have some cash and something to do. Maybe if the job search doesn’t pan out and after UI dries up. . . .
I think that sounds like a really interesting idea worth investigating. A simple change that continues to not only keep you active and engaged...but is paying you is a great way to wind down.

Everything I have seen about people that shift to 'sudden' retirement don't do well. This included my B.I.L who retired from the investment industry due to pressure from his previously retired wife....he was extremely restless and somewhat unhappy for a few years until he got the 'hang' of it.....doing better now..
Regardless, people who haven't planned for retirement often miss their previous social environment and they miss a reasonable sense of daily purpose as well as getting paid....more or less.
This is very much the case with men....not as much tho' with women.

Also, even in your 60's don't count yourself out of the work force. The continuing and growing failure of the younger demographic entering the work force to measure up in terms of needed conscientiousness and responsibility has re-opened the door for older workers who are simply....better workers and are in higher demand that you might guess.
The computer business that services all my computer needs etc has staff that is probably 50% or more of guys over the age of 40-45....and only a couple of younger ones in there and that is a very busy, progressive company.
Another friend of mine is a manager with an industrial supply company and he will no longer hire young people under the age of 30....but he has to interview them.
They simply do not have the reliability and people skills of an older generation that is still active in the work force....so again, more opportunity for 'older' workers.

Regardless, I would definitely be looking to finding work that continued to provide a daily purpose and income while i considered what my day by day by day life was going to be when I finally retired.
Sounds like you have some very good options out there.....

My two bits
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote