View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #10
Benjamin

Re: Gifted a 68 c20- what to do

First of all, CONGRATS on the truck, that is awesome.

Don't blow your budget on the motor and transmission because you will probably want to do a few other things on the truck, like convert to disk brakes in the front and replace or upgrade any items that need it (fuel pump, radiator, charging system, etc...).

I am going round and round on some of the same questions you are, and I feel like I am zeroing in on 2 things.

1. I agree with you on the fuel injected small block. LS swaps are cool, and they might get you a little better fuel mileage, but I don't need to do tire-melting burnouts with my truck, and there are lots of hidden costs on an LS swap.

2. Manual transmission all the way. No kick down cables. KISS (Keep It Simple Son). But that is just my preference. If you want an automatic, go for it.

I have an SM465, which I would like to keep, and I am considering adding a Ranger Torque Splitter. That would give me 27% overdrive, or a top gear of 0.73:1, and I could run in overdrive (or "split") in all my other gears, theoretically having the perfect gear for any hill. The only catch with that plan is that they are about $1600-1700, and I will have to get new driveshafts to account for added gearbox length.

The NV4500 looks like a good option for you, do some shopping, but I just saw one on eBay for $1100. NV4500 is rated for a Max Engine Torque of 460 ft*lb & Gross Vehicle Weight of 15,000 lbs, so I would say it's PLENTY stout. Also, look for one from a 92-94 GM application so you get the lower first and reverse, 6.34:1 (granny) 1st gear. Most guys don't use the granny gear on regular old flat ground driving, but on a hill start or trying to navigate a tight parking spot, the granny gear is your best friend, and the lower the better.