View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #36
Rich69shortfleet

Re: What did I blow up now

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
I see it at work (Toyota dealership) a lot. Just last week had one that would run normal sitting still but would die at about 30 mph every time.
I'm not saying it has to be the gas I'm just saying before spending a lot of time and money it's an easy thing to check. Pump a little out into a clear bottle and let it sit. If it separates into two different liquids it's bad.
Taking a test sample of the gas out and letting it settle is not a bad idea, but dumping 17 gallons of gas because it *might* be bad and probably isn't is foolish and wasteful. Do the easy, simple things first. A fuel filter costs a couple of bucks and if the engine is new not a bad thing to replace now that the engine is broken in. Checking the distributor is free other than the time spent.

And of course an engine can blow black smoke if the ignition is weak or the timing goes off regardless of whether it is running rich or lean.

If the filter is found to be clogged, it wouldn't be a bad idea to crack the carb open and clean it out, at least clean out the needle valves (or whatever Edelbrock uses, don't really like those carbs).
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote